The project concerns a feasibility study for setting up of a reforestation business for value-added timber products based on fast-growing commercial species native to Peru on degraded forest lands, that will ensure a legal, sustainable, traceably, reliable and certified timber supply in the medium and long-term. The foreseen company will enter into a partnership with existing small-holders for the supply/outgrowing of timber in the short term. The investment plan includes the establishment of a timber product line from raw logs to timber products that will be marketed and promoted as alternatives to imported pine products, contributing to the Peruvian timber industry and economy, and to cover the demand in Peru’s main cities. This company will have a positive impact on the local ecology and engaged communities.
Form International finished a pre-feasibility study in which a potential project design and business case were investigated, and where a wide variety of stakeholders were interviewed (incl. companies, NGOs, communities, public entities, and research institutions) in the region of interest. In the future, the project will offer a direct investment opportunity into a new Forest Landscape Restoration business with strong ecological, social and climate impact and solid financial performance.
- A pre-feasibility study was conducted with positive results
- A technical & economic feasibility study currently in development
- In-depth market study completed on domestic timber market for native plantation species
- Location analysis & site selection
- A partnership was formed to ensure social and political embedding
- Currently a bankable investment plan is being designed